Monday, May 24, 2010

The temperature increases, the time decreases

As the countdown to me leaving continues, it's been a busy but exceptionally fun week in the sun here in Munchkin Country. The busyness began with a day that will forever be associated with the song "Poker Face" and the phrases "tree rape" and "**** you Birmingham!" - a very long day trip to Alton Towers with Jono and some wonderful friends, Lee and Sara. Having paid a total of £1 each to get in (you've got to love nectar points!) and added a fast track ticket each, we made it onto all of the big rides including the front row of Air twice and the front and back row of my favourite ride, Nemesis, once each. Having not been to Alton Towers for 10 years a lot's changed, but I couldn't have imagined a more fun day or more fun people to have shared it with. I feel I must apologise to anyone who may have been in the queue for thi3teen with us, and may have been somewhat confused to hear frequent shouts of "tree rape!"... This was apparently Sara's theory for what might happen during the ride to make it so scary, which seems like a reasonable guess having seen the advert with the little girl - if you've seen it you'll know what I mean.

Alton Towers was followed a couple of days later by Jono's birthday, and a wonderful evening for the two of us at Bell's Diner in Montpelier. While the food is a little odd and not necessarily for those who might class themselves as fussy eaters, it was fantastic. The quail starter was incredibly flavourful, the duck main course was stunning as always, and the chocolate coulant was one of the best desserts I've ever had.

Of course a couple of days later the weekend arrived, and with it came some wonderful and much welcomed sunshine. As all good sunny weekends should be, it was spent with friends sitting outside, chatting, drinking and barbequeing. Sunday presented a slightly less common and incredibly fun experience - Jono, Lee and I drove down to Teignmouth and hired a self-drive boat for a few hours. There was sun, cider, food, fishing and general merryment out on the boat, followed by a family Sunday roast at Jono's parents'. All in all, I don't think it could have been a better weekend :D

As for the coming week there's always plenty to do. I've now given my landlord notice that I'm leaving and my academic evaluation is complete so the scary paperwork will all start going through pretty soon. I'm a mixture of excitement, sadness, panic and about a hundred other emotions all at once. Never in my life have I even contemplated doing something so huge as moving half way around the world, so now that it's all becoming very real it's pretty terrifying, but so thrilling to think I'm going to be doing what I love. I guess I'd best get myself outside and get a bit more used to the heat before I step off a plane into temperatures of well over 30 degrees every day!

No comments: